Me and Mont Ventoux

Me and Mont Ventoux

Saturday 3 August 2013

Ventoux Cycle Day2: 126 Kms; Up Mt Ventoux!

31 JULY 2013:
I had planned to climb Mt Ventoux on the 1st August when the Mistral wind was supposed to drop.  But here I was on the 31st July, having breakfast and not a breath of wind.  So I decided to have a look and climb today if possible.  I set off from my overnight stop on a lovely warm day. I could see Mt Ventoux clearly in the distance, set against the beautiful blue sky.

In less than an hour, I arrived at the town of B
édoin, the traditional starting point for the climb by the southern route.  In Bédoin, there seemed to be so many cyclists setting off, so that encouraged me to set off up the climb.  The first 6 Kms was quite gentle until the St Estève hairpin bend.  I passed a few groups of cyclists.  Then it got much steeper and I ground away up the slope (to a maximum of 10.5%) for the next 9 Kms.  I arrived at Chalet Reynaud (Km 35 on map below). Chalet Reynaud is a ski restaurant in winter season, and serves summer visitors as well.  It was packed and so I bought drink and had a brief rest.

Then I started the final 6Km climb to the summit.  I was going well and felt good, all those hills climbed in Hong Kong was helping me now.   The trees were disappearing and the famous 'moonscape' was ahead.  I was enjoying the excitement of arriving at this amazingly unique place.  The views were incredible in such brilliant weather, and I was very excited.

I completed the last few kilometres quite easily, and it was great to round that final bend, so familiar from the Tour de France TV pictures, where the road gets noticeably steeper up to the 'finish'. In the days before the climb it seemed a bit daunting - maybe because it is so famous - but I need not have worried.  The weather was perfect with none of the Mistral wind that can blow up there.


There are three routes up Mt Ventoux.  1) From Bédoin, the most popular - the usual Tour de France route Kms 20 to 35; 2) from Malaucène, the steepest, and 3) from Sault in the South East, the least steep, joining Route 1 at Chalet Reynaud (km 35) and avoiding the first 15 Kms of the Bédoin route
Mt Ventoux is quite steep as you can see from the chart above, but not so bad if you have lived in a place like Hong Kong - but it is continuous
Sight of Mt Ventoux starts a long way off


On the D974 - exciting!

Bédoin, the start of the classic route to Mt Ventoux


Bédoin - full of cyclists and cycle shops - you can hire bikes here

Lots of cyclists going the same way. This is the not-so-steep part. I overtook quite a few! Not the slowest by far.


The climb proper starts after the St Estève Hairpin


The climb through the trees takes you to Chalet Reynaud ; 9% slope


Arriving at Chalet Reynaud - a ski restaurant in the winter, but today full of cyclists rather than skiers


Chalet Reynaud : The least steep route from Sault joins from the right here


Beginning the final 6 kilometres from Chalet Reynaud


Coming out of the tree line at Chalet Reynaud, the summit now visible top left 

Plenty of cyclists out today, on all types of bikes, even a couple towing a baby trailer!

It took me 2 hours 12 minutes from Bédoin to the top of Mont Ventoux, average speed 9.11 kph (6 mph); the Tour de France riders did it in a hour.
Taken by a professional cameraman in the perfect spot (to make good money!)

Not everyone rode all the way up!

Simpson Memorial on right, more about that later
Taken on the way down - I wasn't going to stop on the way up
Nice steep bit to finish - Tour de France finish at the top

Great View from the top - well worth it

Classic pose - I made it! 

Now I needed the T shirt (well, bike shirt actually)

Looking north
View when approaching from the west Malaucène route


Veritable moonscape


The Malaucène climb. Some guys I met were climbing all three routes today, what a day to do it - must do that next year!
Beginning the descent from Mont Ventoux

Nice smooth descent - pure joy!

Tom Simpson Memorial 1Km from the top of Mont Ventoux. The Englishman collapsed here on the 13th July 1967 whilst competing in the Tour De France.  He died later in hospital in Avignon. His last words were "Put me back on my bike" ....he didn't wan't to give up. He was found with drugs (Amphetamines) in his pocket, and alcohol in his bloodstream.  The drugs didn't kill him but the they had blocked out the pain as he rode - the pain that was trying to tell him to stop.

The Memorial says: "A la mémoire de Tom Simpson, médaille olympique, champion du monde, ambassade de sport britannique...
des amis cyclistes de Grande Bretagne" 
"In memory of Tom Simpson, Olympic medallist, world champion, British Sport's Ambassador, from his British cycling friends" 

I descended back down to Chalet Reynaud and continued the rest of the day's ride to Sault (Km 70) and through the Gorges de la Nesque.  It was to prove a long but excellent day's riding.




Stats of Day 2:  Distance 128Kms ; Time 6 hours 23 minutes 17 seconds ; Average speed 20.1 Kilometres per hour ; Total climb vertical 2696 metres. 



Thus shows the steeper route from Bédoin to the top of Mt Ventoux, and the more gentle descent on the route to Sault and through the Gorge, mostly downhill for 60 kilometres
Back at Chalet Reynaud, I took a left turn (Kilometre 35 on the map above) south eastwards on the D164 to the town of Sault (Kilometre 70).  It was a pretty descent through trees for 15 kilometres, on the smoothest road I have every experienced. Sault is another pretty hill top town, and, as I did with every other hilltop town I came across, I had of course to climb to visit it!   Then I turned southwest taking the D942 on a gentle uphill climb through Monnières to the start of the Gorges de La Nesque.  I stopped at a viewpoint (Km 85), and then started the descent to Villes-sur-Auzon at Km 110.  The descent through the Gorges lasted for 25 kilometres and passed through tunnels and spectacular scenery.  After Villes-sur-Auzon, I had a stiff climb to do just after Mormoiron, and then the final climb from Le Barroux to my overnight refuge at La Roque Alric.  Very tired, but felt great after such an brilliant day's cycling of 128kms, and 2696 vertical metres climbed.   


Smoothest road ever..on the way down to Sault

25 kilometres descent from top of Mont Ventoux to Sault in very green countryside

What Provence is also known for.....lavender fields


Mt Ventoux still visible - beginning of Gorges de La Nesque; what's in the bag? (My Mont Ventoux Cycling shirt - that's what!)

25 kilometres down hill through tunnels and round smooth bends
Un autre tunnel?

The light at the end of the tunnel



More tunnels - added to the fun


No comments:

Post a Comment